Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Self-Discovery Journey

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry


The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

By: Rachel Joyce

Genre: fiction

Pages: 320

Published: 2012

Read: June

2 out of 5 stars


A reader's perception of a novel is heavily weighed on their own mood at the time of the reading.  I may have enjoyed Harold Fry's journey more if I wasn't engrossed in other's self discovery quests so recently - Cheryl Strayed (Wild), Alan Christoffersen (The Walk Series by Richard Paul Evans), and Tom (The Way, 2010 movie).  All three of these stories touched me in ways that Harold's didn't even come close to obtaining.  They gave me the desire to leave my life and trek off on my very own journey. Harold's quest may provoke that desire in some, but it just wasn't me or at least not at this time.  I also felt that Joyce's voice switched point-of-view with no indication to the reader, therefore making it a harder story to follow.  I was able to "feel" the story about 3/4th of the way in, but I would highly recommend other self-discovering routes first.

This is Rachel Joyce's only novel and you can read more reviews at www.racheljoycebooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment