Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A YA Historical Novel

Dodger

Dodger

By: Terry Pratchett

Genre: YA historical fiction/famtasy

Pages: 360

Published: 2012

Read: October

1 out of 5

I very much disliked this book. I found it very difficult to follow mainly because of the writing style. I would have given up except I choose it as a YA book club selection. As a member and, in this case, the moderator of the book club I would not give up. I have found that the primary reason I give up on books is the writing style because I find my mind wanders too much and if I read even 30 pages and you asked what I read I would be unable to tell you. I don’t feel the writing was poor; it was actually very well written – I just have a hard time following some styles and this was one.  This book reminded me of the style of Wicked by Gregory Maguire or Mr. Penumbra’s 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.

Terry Pratchett has written numerous books, both YA and adult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment