Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Friday, January 3, 2014

Cerebal Palsy Novel

Stoner & Spaz (Stoner & Spaz, #1)
Stoner & Spaz

By: Ron Koertge

Genre: YA fiction

Pages: 176

Published: 2004

Read: January

3 out of 5


I chose this book because like the protagonist I have spastic cerebal palsy, also similar to Ben it affects only one side of my body.  I was interested to see how a non-handicap author portrays a disabled person.  There are multiple levels of CP ranging from the very mild to very severe; Ben and I are similar in our capabilities although his is slightly worse. I only have slight difficulty getting dressed and I am able to drive. Overall, Koertge did a  exemplary job with both main characters. I loved the fact that Ben had a great sense of humor and although he, of course, isn't happy about his situation he accepts it for what it is.  Colleen is the polar opposite of Ben with her wild side and drug addiction, but as true to life opposites attract.

No comments:

Post a Comment