Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Friday, February 21, 2014

Too long to bother - should have given up..

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
The Historian

By: Elizabeth Kostova

Genre: Adult fiction

Pages: 752

Published: 2003

Read: February

2 out of 5


One of these days I will learn that if a book has more than 400 pages I should NOT read it. For me, it always seems those books have about 100 pages of “filler” that don’t add any significance to the story. I also have never been one to skip pages of a novel – I either muddle through or give up. However, I was too invested and around page 600 (the manuscripts) I skipped over 26 pages. Honestly, I don’t feel I lost anything either.   Every event unraveled too neatly, every mystery solved too conveniently, unsolved problems – then just give the character amnesia! Then again, if Kostova didn’t write the book in that manner can you imagine how long it would be!! From reviews I have seen, this is definitely a “you love it” or “you hate it” book – I recommend only to fans of Dracula or history buffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment