Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Pleasant Surprise

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

By: Barbara Kingsolver

Genre:  adult nonfiction

Pages: 370

Published: 2007

Read: June

3 out of 5


I read this book only to help a co-worker with her new garden book club. We both thought I would hate it. I have never gardened and don’t particularly enjoy the task. Plus, I am aware I am not as health food conscious as I should be. I did hate it at the beginning but not because of the reasons I thought. I felt Kingsolver’s voice came across as conceited and she often made snide remarks directed to those readers that don’t have her same beliefs. However, I ended up being pleasantly surprised by this book. As I read on I learned a lot and she seemed to cool her opinions quite a bit. I look forward to trying most of her recipes. My favorite section of her book was Camille’s (her oldest daughter) journal entries. She provided great insight to her feelings on the new way of living her family was attempting. The entire family admitted it was very time consuming and sometimes hard to avoid their favorite food. In the end, I was inspired.

Here is a picture of my copy after I read it and took notes:

No comments:

Post a Comment