Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Why was this a childhood favorite?

Socks
Socks

By: Beverly Cleary

Genre:  Juvenile fiction

Pages: 160

Published: 1973

Read: August

3 out of 5


I vividly remember loving this book as a child.  For the life of me, I wish I could remember why.  Don’t get me wrong, this book is likeable and cute, but not much happens. There was a happy cat, the couple has a baby, the cat is forgotten, the baby grows up, and then the cat and baby become friends. I wanted more Lady and the Tramp adventures, more laughs and a much more mischievous cat. Ramona Quimby, the famous Cleary character, was a girl who always got into trouble and was constantly cracking me up.  I thought Socks was going to be the cat equivalent, but (at least reading as an adult) I didn’t see it. Most of my enjoyment of reading this story, this time around, was how dated it was. The few ’60 –70’s references was when a cracked a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment