Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A great paranormal YA novel

In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters

 In the Shadow of Blackbirds

By: Cat Winters

Genre:  YA historical fiction/paranormal

Pages: 387

Published: 2013

Read: September

4 0ut of 5


I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I typically do not enjoy paranormal/spirits novels, but this is definitely an exception. Even though it is considered a fictional novel, parts of her story are based on facts from 1918. There is great evidence that she is knowledgeable and applied her research to the plot. I also read her author’s note and recommend everyone to read it; just adds some insight.  I loved reading the development of the mystery and Mary Shelley’s determination not to give up. This novel reminded me of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, but BETTER. After reading this one, I feel I rated Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children too high. I would change it from a 4 to a 3 star book. This book definitely deserves to be a Teens’ Top Ten in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment