Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Monday, March 21, 2016

Doesn't compare to his Alsaid's debut novel

Never Always Sometimes by Adi Alsaid

Never Sometimes Always          

By: Adi Alsaid

Genre: YA realistic fiction

Pages: 320

Published: 2015

Read: March

2 out of 5


I experienced the opposite feeling with this book than I just did with my previous read, The Steep and Thorny Way.  I considered Alsaid’s Let’s Get Lost one of my favorite books and this one doesn’t even come close.  Maybe my expectations were too high, but either way I was disappointed. It started out with a good premise, but quickly came extremely unrealistic and very predictable.  Two best friends, Dave and Julia, who are mere weeks away from graduating high school set about completing a list of tasks they said they would NEVER do. Although some are funny, some just don’t make sense – building a tree house in the school yard large enough for several teens to sit OVERNIGHT; organizing a scavenger hunt in just a few hours with the ENTIRE school orchestra. The characters were one-dimensional and it bothered me that while
the parts of book were written by only one character’s view it was written in 3rd person. I believe I would have connected with the characters more if written in first person.    

No comments:

Post a Comment