Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Juvenile Classic...


The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
Indian in the Cupboard

By: Lynne Reid Banks

Genre:  Juvenile fiction

Pages: 192

Published: 1980

Read: May

3 out of 5


This is the first time I read this book, which I read with my 7 year old son. I have very mixed feelings about the story. We both loved the story and it was very well written. My problem is that the boys lied a lot to Omri’s parents about the magic of the cupboard and the word “hell” was mentioned several times; this caused me to question whether it is an appropriate book for younger children. This especially raised a red flag for me because my son has had issues with lying. I felt the book almost justified and encouraged lying since they never were caught or reprimanded for their lying. However, we both loved the story, so I would only encourage parents to evaluate whether it is appropriate for their own child.

No comments:

Post a Comment