Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Monday, December 30, 2013

The best decade!!

The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be a Teenager!
The Eighties: A Bitchen Time to be a Teenager!

By: Tom Harvey

Genre: memoir

Pages: 256

Published: 2012

Read: December

2 out of 5

I was excited to read this book because I have always considered myself to be a  child of the 80's - even if my high school years was more in the 90's.  This book was not nearly as funny as I expected - my favorite part was the pictures - how could one forgot the ridiculously fabulous clothes and hairstyles of the 80's.  Even though I could relate to some of the stories and memories - the Cabbage Patch and Garbage Pail kid phase, music - ghetto blasters, etc - I felt most of the stories would only be memorable to Tom himself - or his friends. This book was a case of "You had to be there" or it just wasn't as funny. Although I did appreciate a memoir about an ordinary person of the 80's versus someone famous, unearthly rich, or so successful he didn't need the book deal. Another great aspect of the book were the appendixes at the end - what great memories!


Harvey has written another book, Don't Fight with the Garden Hose and Other Lessons I've Learned Along the Way - visit his website at www.authortomharvey.com

No comments:

Post a Comment