Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

AND THE JOURNEY CONTINUES….

Well, volunteering has paid off for me. I was offered and accepted a job in the library field. It’s not the full-time position as I hoped, but a part-time position that is just enough hours that I can receive library experience and (hopefully) work my full-time accounting job, continue school part-time, raising a family, have a relationship and also ME time!!

Now, I am a little scared because this is still a lot to accomplish – even with only 30 hours a month.   I was only volunteering 8 -10 hours a month plus I start my month book club at the library in March. However, I need the experience and couldn’t pass the opportunity up.   I am glad to see it is only a few hours a month because I wouldn’t have been able to swing a 15-20 hr a week P/T position without quitting my F/T job (and that wouldn’t have flown over very well with the boyfriend).

Now ideally, I WANTED a F/T position so I can completely move into the library field. BUT I have to start somewhere and it wasn’t as though I was turned down for the position…they have enough current staff to only need a P/T person. I was also sent numerous resume to other libraries within openings since beginning this journey and never received one, NOT ONE phone call or inquiry. I need the experience.

And who knows, I may be the first to be asked when a F/T position opens…YAY!!

About the position - It’s basically a high school P/T position – P/T shelver with a little desk time.
Two week night evening for 3 hours each and the 2nd and 5th (when there is one) Saturday each month
Plus, my book club night and at-home hours to run the online forum book club discussion group
It may be basic, but I’m thrilled to enter the field before I graduate. I can’t wait!!!!  It is definitely more experience than what I was doing volunteering and I feel I will be able to contribute more life experience to my graduate classes discussions.

Hey, I also receive 40% discount on personal book purchases and a small tuition reimbursement.
I will actually be sad to see volunteering go away. Volunteering makes you feel so selfless and loved. It is so rewarding. I HIGHLY recommend everyone do it.  I have enough on my plate (I fear too much), so I won’t be able to volunteer my time elsewhere at the moment, but maybe someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment