Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Friday, December 30, 2011

A STOLEN LIFE by Jaycee Dugard

A Stolen Life

Title: A Stolen Life : A Memoir
Author: Jaycee Dugard
Genre: Autobiography/ non fiction
# of pages:268
Edition: Hardcover
Stars: 4 out of 5
Time it took me to read: 1 day

Summary:

The true story told my the victim herself, Jaycee Dugard of her 18 year kidnapping and captivation by a known sex offender, Phillip Garridos and his wife. She was taken at age 11 and had to endure physical, mental, and verbal abuse, plus probably the worst manipulation possible. Her name is Jaycee Dugard and this is her story...

Review:


------SPOILER ALERT ----


This book was a true eye opener. Jaycee was such a courageous young girl. I can't even imagine going through the things she had to endure. She became an extremely courageous and powerful women. She mentions several times how difficult it was to continue to write her story. again, I can't imagine how difficult it was to relive her past. I was very surprised it didn't make me cry. I completely expected to cry during the story. I think part of the reason was because of how strong Jaycee was through the telling of her story.


 It did surprise me how once she was allowed outside the secret back yard she was still so scared to tell someone who she was. There were a few opportunities for her. Yet I understand how scared and probably ashamed she was. The most touch part for me was reading her journal entries from the time she was held captive. It seemed she was able to explain more of what she truly felt during her time of growing up. In the retelling of her story, she almost seemed to like Phillip and Nancy and consider them her family. I'm sure that was because of the abuse and manipulation she endured. In her journal, she admitted how sad and angry she was. I can't stress enough I believe her to be a courageous and brave girl and women. I don't believe I could have survived what she endured. 


The one thing that seemed strange to me was not only how Phillip was able to manipulate Nancy, his wife and grown women. She never seemed to necessary agree with Phillip, but went along with his actions and manipulation of Jaycee and her two daughters. Nancy was an accomplice in my opinion, but also a victim to Phillip's abuse. Before her illness, I'm also surprised that Pat, Phillip's mother did not suspect anything wrong or was she afraid of Phillip as well. We will never know. If this wasn't a true story, straight from the true victim I don't believe I could believe the characters of Nancy and Pat. I was disappointed to not know what became of Nancy. I feel although a victim she was an accomplice and should serve prison time as well, just maybe not for life. Does anyone know the outcome of Nancy? 

----END OF SPOILER----

Overall, I was glad I had a chance to read the story from Jaycee, the victim herself. I believe everyone should read this story. The only reason I gave it 4 stars versus 5 stars is because it is a tough read and not for everyone and I don't believe I would want to own the book or reread it. It is definitely a story that I need to sit and think about and contemplate for a while. It was the same way with the movie, 'The Passion of the Christ'.

No comments:

Post a Comment