Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Thursday, December 8, 2011

THE SPEED OF DARKNESS by Sarah Baethge




Title: The Speed of Darkness
Author: Sarah Baethge
Genre: Sci- Fi
# Pages: 105
ED: PDF
STARS: 1 out of 5


Why I read: The author asked me to review
Time it took me to read: 3 days
Where to buy: B&N, Smashwords, Amazon, Goodreads


Summary from Goodreads: Eric Omlup, (computer teacher, web design consultant) tries to be seen as a normal, friendly guy. He is determined to hide the fact that he is a werewolf from everyone so he can just live a normal life.  Unfortunately, because he tries to be a good guy, he finds himself jumping in to try and save a man who looks to be helplessly under attack. Unexpectedly, the two villains that he wants to scare off may back down, but happily consider finding him to be a great asset. Eric is horrified to learn that he has exposed himself to a company of cruel scientists, called The Eclipse, that are capturing near-human 'supernatural' creatures for use in questionable medical experiments because no laws to protect them are in place. 
Now can he and Nigel Hunter (the man he saved) remain outside of the clutches of The Eclipse as their pursuers quietly, yet persistently tear bit by bit away from the safety and secrecy he has so endeavored to acquire?

Review:    While I think it is a promising storyline it had numerous spelling errors and was not developed well.  The entire novel is very choppy and I had a hard time following it. There were several characters that never really were introduced but were reflected in the story as though they were. It also seemed like the novel would flip between point of view’s with not really distinguish which character it was. Novels change point of views often, but not only a paragraph here and there. 

The other problems I had were the author used italics WAY too often that it lost the emphasis that I believe she was trying to place on those words and/or phrases.  I also found parentheses in places they were not needed or just didn’t make sense.  Like I said, the storyline was an interesting one, but it was very hard to follow.

                                                                              
I applaud Sarah for writing a novel – I have tried several times to write my own and can’t develop the story well – so I give her a lot of credit.  She is at a good starting point; great ideas are in her head. The best advice I can give her to have people proofread her novels, before putting them out there for others to read.


1 comment:

  1. I'm happy with the 1 star review!
    Say what? Perhaps it's just too early in the morning, but I like the kind way the criticism was worded.
    It was only a 1/5 score, but not because my story stinks or I'm a crappy writer, but because I didn't spend enough time finessing my words and writing into the best that they could be; apparently I left a few rather glaring mistakes. So why does this earn my enjoyment? Because of the time and effort I'm taking with my current writing.
    It was just a happy reminder that my resisting the urge to rush, may be beneficial.
    And hey, if you don't get too worried about the technical aspects of writing, you can still read my novel that, according to Heather, has 'a promising storyline' by an author described with 'great ideas are in her head.'

    ReplyDelete