Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Important Topic, but have read better

The Girls at 17 Swann Street


The Girls at 17 Swann Street

By: Yara Zgheib

Genre: Realistic Fiction, Mental Health

Pages: 384

Published: 2019

Read:  March

3 out of 5 stars

This book was OK. I believe eating disorders is an important topic and often overlooked in fiction books. However, I felt this book was somewhat unrealistic. My biggest issue was believing Emm would be in the house for 4 entire years. She would have been moved to a halfway house or similar establishment. Plus, I never felt she still had a serious enough eating disorder to justify the length of stay. She was portrayed as recovered, helpful and encouraging to the other girls. I felt it was a cop-out by the author. The girls were distant and as the reader I was never able to connect with them. I would suggest Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson or for a different take on institutions I highly recommend Good Kings, Bad Kings by Susan Nussbaum (5 stars).

No comments:

Post a Comment