Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Saturday, January 5, 2019

A Classic - First Book of 2019


The Jungle

The Jungle

By: Upton Sinclair

Genre: Classic, Historical Fiction

Pages: 335

Published: 1906

Read:  January

3 out of 5


Why I read this...It's simple. My brother made me do it. He said something along the lines of "You are 43, live it Chicago (area), read 191 books last year AND haven't read The Jungle?" So I accepted the challenge. I thought I would hate it. I usually don't like classics and my brother and I have very different tastes when it comes to books.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't hate it and never felt the urge to give up on it. My main reason for hating classics is the writing style of the 1800's and early 1900's. This book, published in 1906, was not like that - It was written in plain language and I didn't need Cliff Notes to interpret every sentence. 

I was expecting more about the meat industry. I always thought that was main premise (especially because of FDA's outcome from book), but after reading I found the meat industry story line to be a subplot. The book followed a family through suffering and surviving the early 1900's during the Industrial Revolution. I found it to be a very depressing story, which was expected. 

My rating of 3 stars was mostly because I was bored through the political aspects of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment