Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Craving more...

Stitches


Stitches

By: David Small

Genre: YA Graphic Novel/Memoir

Pages: 329

Published: 2009

Read:  January

3.5 out of 5 stars

I have mentioned in previous reviews that I struggle with National Book Award Winners. However, I have always enjoyed graphic memoirs – So why not?   Small didn’t have a great childhood, I won’t deny that and it’s a great accomplishment that he came out on top. But, so many other children have it worse. I wonder if it really was worse than he portrayed or if Small choose not to indulge more detail because it was a graphic novel. Or did he feel that he truly suffered as much as other children.

Either way, I craved more – did he Grandma continue to abuse him or just suddenly stop as it seems from the book? What was his mother’s reaction when he walked into the bedroom and saw her with her lesbian lover? I felt what Small endured was minimized by his brief overview. Most of all, I want to know if there was more or did he mean to keep us guessing. Even his author note, while informative, didn’t answer my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment