Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Monday, January 28, 2019

Another 1st for me - A Political-Based Book

Becoming


Becoming

By: Michelle Obama

Genre: Autobiography

Pages: 426

Published: 2018

Read:  January

3.5 out of 5 stars

I am probably the most unpolitical person I know. I have never watched a debate or a presidential address and don’t even follow the news much. I was under the impression (although not sure why), that this was a book more about “becoming” a woman versus Michelle becoming Michelle. It was definitely more biographical then I expected. I found a lot of it pretty mundane, but so well written I didn’t have the desire to give up.  I feel Michelle didn’t lead a very rough life. Although she did her best to not brag, some parts were definitely just that.  She claims to have grown up pretty poor, but her parents still sent her to Paris in high school with her class and she managed to go to Harvard. Doesn’t sound like a rough life to me.

The part of the book I found most interesting was, ironically, after Obama moved into politics and eventually ran for President. Michelle was and still claims not to be into politics and focused her efforts on improvements for children – better school lunches, better education, healthy food habits, etc.  She grew as a woman, as a mother, and a role model for woman to look up to. I did find this empowering. Although not my type of autobiography, I am glad I read it and I did in fact learn a bit about the political world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment